So this morning, I took the knowledge that I got yesterday and put it to use. I took my time and prepared everything in advance. I even remembered to get the camera and my wife agreed to take some pictures. (At a safe distance of course!)
I didn’t have much trouble finding the queen in either hive.
Here I have the queen from “New York“ and am placing it in the new nuc. I am using full sized boxes for these first 2 splits, as these queens are really laying and I expect will be built up in no time. I hate to lose these 2 old girls. Though to be honest, this is probably their last year, as they will probably begin to decline by fall. I am planning to re-queen the original hives in late summer or early fall. I had already moved a second frame of capped brood into this hive as I was looking for the queen.
Now I am picking out some good brood frames to get some nurse bees into the hive. This is also a good shot of where the bees are in the backyard.
This has to be the most counter- intuitive thing to do. My wife got this pic at just the right moment. I am banging off the nurse bees into the new nuc. You can see them falling off the frame and onto the top of the frames.
Here they are waiting for the top. You can see that I already have the reduced entrance covered with debris to keep the bees inside. I ended up having to truly block the entrance as the bees were far too quick at getting out.